WHAT IS STEAM BATH?
Steam bath is a sweat-inducing bath. It is a traditional health and medical treatment utilizing steam, vapor or mist kept in an even temperature and usually applied in a specially equipped enclosure or a steam therapy machine.
HOW IT WORKS
The therapeutic, restorative and healing process of steam bath are derived from the power and potency of heat. It employs the body’s response to temperature, the sustained application of heat, the force or strain pushed by the water and the physical reaction it results to. The nerves are responsible for the body’s sensation to different stimuli felt on the skin. Heat activates the nerves to send “fever” messages to the body affecting the behavior of the different organs and systems. Elevated body temperature increases immune system response, forces out toxins and impurities, energizes blood circulation and gets hormonal glands activated.
Soaking in warm water (steam bath) and “massage” received from this “water pressure” works directly on the musculoskeletal conditions of the body. It gives a feeling of “lightness”, less pull of gravity and loosens tight muscles, tendons and ligaments relieving physical tension and mental stress.
PREPARATION BEFORE THE STEAM BATH
1. Drink one glass of lukewarm water.
2. Take a shower with warm water.
3. Go to steam therapy machine. (15 – 20 minutes)
4. Cool down, take a shower and bathe for 5 minutes.
5. Drink lots of water.
BENEFITS OF STEAM BATH
- Relaxes mind, emotions and body
- Boosts immune system response
- Cleanses and detoxifies body of toxins and impurities
- Helps eradicate harmful microorganisms due to increased body temperature
- Loosens and eases stiff, tense and sore muscles
- Helps soothes nerves
- Relieves muscle pain, pressure, joint problems and help re-establish mobility
- Facilitates oxygenation of blood, softens blood vessels and improves circulation
- Increases body metabolism
- Hydrates the body
- Promotes good night sleep
- Improves elasticity of skin making it look fresh and young
- Moistens and invigorates the lungs
- Aids in reducing weight
- Restores inner balance
- Provides a sense of health and well-being.
CONDITIONS WHERE STEAM BATH IS CONTRAINDICATED
- Pregnant women
- Inflammatory diseases of the heart, kidneys and liver
- Elderly ( 65 years old and above)
- Skin diseases like scabies and fungus
- Anemia and ulcers
- Malignant tumors
- Increased heart beat
- Severe circulatory conditions
- Severe infections